BIOCINE® (LINCOMYCIN HYDROCHLORIDE)
Capsules 500mg, Syrup 250mg/5ml and Injection 600mg/2ml
Each Biocine® capsule contains Lincomycin Hydrochloride equivalent to 500mg Lincomycin base.
Each ml of the sterile solution contains Lincomycin Hydrochloride equivalent to 300mg/ml Lincomycin base in 2ml ampoules.
Each 5ml (teaspoonful) Biocine® Syrup contains Lincomycin Hydrochloride equivalent to 250mg Lincomycin base.
Biocine® has been shown to be very effective in the treatment of the following conditions caused by gram-positive aerobes such as Streptococci, Pneumococci and Staphylococci (including penicillinase-producing staphylococci) or by susceptible anaerobic bacteria;
- Bone and joint infections including osteomyelitis and septic arthritis.
- Skin and soft tissue infections such as cellulitis, abscesses, furuncles, impetigo acne and wound infections.
- Upper respiratory infections including tonsillitis, pharyngitis, otitis media, finufitis, scarlet fever and as adjuvant therapy for diphtheria.
- Lower respiratory infections such as acute and chronic bronchitis and pneumonia.
- Septicaemia and endocarditis.
- Bacillary dysentery.
- Usage in Neonates. Biocine® is well tolerated in neonates and no adverse effects were reported.
Biocine® is contra-indicated in patients previously found sensitive to Lincomycin or Clindamycin.
Biocine® interacts with Erythromycin and may decrease its effectiveness.
WARNING AND PRECAUTIONS
- Use Biocine® with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially diarrhoea. Monitor carefully for change in bowel frequency.
- Do not use it in NEWBORNS OR INFANTS. It may cause serious and sometimes fatal side effects.
- A severe skin reaction may happen.
- Long term or repeated use of Biocine® may cause a second infection.
- Biocine® only works against bacteria; it does not treat viral infections (e.g. common cold)
- Be sure to use Biocine® for the full course of the treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or the otherwise medicine.
PREGNANCY AND LACTATION
Biocine® should be used in pregnancy only if clearly needed.
A decision should be made to discontinue breastfeeding or discontinue the drug, taking into account the importance of the drug to the mother.
Lincomycin Hydrochloride is being excreted into human milk. The effects in the nursing infants are unknown.
SIDE EFFECTS AND ADVERSE REACTION
- Skin mucous membrane: purities, skin rashes, urticaria, vaginitis.
- Gastrointestinal: Nausea, vomiting, abdominal distress and persistent diarrhoea.
- Haematopoietic: Leucopenia, Neutropenia, agranulocytosis and thrombocytopenic purpura.
- Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody or watery stools; change in how much urine is passed; difficulty swallowing; dizziness; mouth irritation or mouth sores; ringing in the ears; severe or persistent diarrhea; stomach pain or cramps; swelling of hands, eyes, or throat; yellowing of skin or eyes.
- In the event of over dosage, symptomatic and supportive therapy should be given as appropriate.
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
Biocine® Capsules, Biocine® Sterile Solution and Biocine® Syrup.
|Adults||500mg three times daily||600mg (2ml) every 24hours||600mg (2ml) to 1g every 8 to 12 hours administer in an infusion of 5% glucose in water or normal saline.|
|Severe||500mg (or more) four times daily||600mg (2ml) every 12 hours|
|Children||30mg/kg/day in 3 to 4 equal doses||10mg/kg every 24hours||10 to 20mg/kg/day in two or three doses at 8 to 12 hour intervals. administer as infusion diluted as for adults|
|Severe||60mg/kg/day in 3 or 4 equal doses||10mg/kg every 24hours|
Biocine® should not be injected intravenously as a bolus.
Biocine® Capsules: Each capsule contains Lincomycin Hydrochloride equivalent to 500mg Lincomycin base in blister pack of 2×10’s
Biocine® Syrup: Each 5ml (teaspoonful) contains Lincomycin Hydrochloride equivalent to 250mg Lincomycin base, in 100ml bottles.
Biocine® Sterile Solution: Each ml contains Lincomycin Hydrochloride equivalent to 300mg/ml Lincomycin base in 2ml ampoules.
Store below 30OC in a cool dry place.